Train 18, Indian Railways’ first 160 kmph capable self-propelled train set, rolls out today! Made in just 18 months, Train 18 is an engine-less train set that will replace the Delhi-Bhopal Shatabdi – India’s fastest – next year.
The 16 coach fully AC train set has been manufactured at ICF Chennai under the ‘Make in India’ initiative at a cost of Rs 100 crore. So what does the engine-less Train 18 offer to passengers? Here are 20 mind-blowing facts about Train 18:
1. Train 18 has an aerodynamic driver cabin at each end. The entire set operates as a computer unit; the various equipment of Train 18 “talk to each other digitally” says ICF GM Sudhanshu Mani.
2. It has a colour scheme of white and blue by ICF – a first for Indian Railways. It gives the look and feel of a world-class bullet train!
3. Train 18 has centrally operated automatic doors with sliding footsteps to bridge gap between platform and train. The coach entry area also has automatic sliding doors with optical sensors.
4. There are two Executive Chair cars with comfortable European-style seats in golden coloured fabric. The fabric is dust and fire resistant. The headrests are pink and purple.
5. A unique feature of the executive chair car seats is that they can be rotated 180 degrees to face fellow passengers……..Read More>>